"We hide behind sheets of words and sometimes find comfort on wearing them proudly. I have unbowed my bloody head with the things I have killed and revered what I have immortalized. I will continue to shield, maim, murder, pine, ponder and slave over the very words that force itself out of my body but leave its hand clutched on my still beating heart."

-Darrel Pobre

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Short cat


she licks her wound in
small, round, clockwise
concentric circles

the scabs have dried into
cold volcanic surfaces
rugged, rusty,  ribbed and rough

a river hardening
in summer, burnt frozen
in place where lakes turn into mud

earnestly, she traces every nook
crevice, flesh on hardened flesh
wet moist tongue flicking on air-dried crust 

as if making out a letter
or tracing out a line or a quote
to make sense from all this french kissing

3:35 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment